Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fight like a girl!

As the last minutes of October fade away I feel remiss at not posting about Breast Cancer Awareness. As I was getting ready for bed I started thinking about the post I have read, the information I have received and I felt compelled to write this post.

When I was freshmen in college my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remember the call, feeling that this was not real. I remember the surgery and I remember that it was successful. What I don't remember is my mom complaining. I don't remember her crying. I don't remember any self-pity or why me's. I can't tell you for certain that she didn't do those things but what I do know that whenever I called from school she was positive. When I came home on the weekends she was doing physical therapy with a broom and a smile on her face. My mom has been a cancer survivor for 15 years. Thanks Mom for showing me how to smile through the hard times. To be an encourager even when I don't feel encouraged. To put others needs before my own even when I have a real need. You were such an example of Christ during that time and I didn't even realize it until today. I love you Mom! You are my hero.

1 comment:

  1. Your mom raised a great daughter too! I know she must be very proud to call you daughter! Hope she doesn't mind sharing you! :D

    ReplyDelete