Friday, November 20, 2009

She's ten



The beautiful girl above is my niece. She turned 10 last week and I really cannot believe it. I have been writing a post in my head all week but life has been crazy. Anyway, let me start at the beginning. I have a half-sister but honestly writing that seems weird. I have never thought of her that way until someone ask why my sister is 13 years older than me. Then I say, "oh yeah, well my mom's first husband(my sister's dad) died in an motorcycle accident. Then my mom married my dad and had my brother and I. I remember when I was growing up loving to go in my sister's room. She always had lots of makeup and pretty clothes and the best shoes. I liked to go jump on her bed and look at her magazines. She started dating this nice tall man and I kicked him because he took her away. She married him and I cried. The day she told me she was going to have a baby was my 8th grade graduation and when she lost it I cried. Several times over the years I mourned the loss of a niece or nephew. We stayed close. My sister always did special things for me like braid my hair, took me to the fair and when I was in college she worked at a job that had a 800 number or I probably wouldn't have survived. I called everyday. When I got married the 13 year age difference got smaller and smaller. After 15 years of marriage, she calls and tells me she is over 4 months pregnant. I was shocked and so was she. We shopped and painted and got very excited about this little girl that was on the way. My sister was scared about having a baby at 36 but what a blessing she has been. Then 3 years after my niece was born the 13 year age difference diminished once again. I had a baby and now we were in the same stage of life. I know God's timing is perfect and it has been wonderful raising kids with my sister.
Now back to the birthday girl. My niece is so smart and witty. She has a mind of own and a heart of gold. I have always shared a special closeness with her and I pray that this year will be a great year. I love you Tay.

No comments:

Post a Comment